background

2.18.2014

C's first visit to the dentist.

Ever since Clara was born, I've been taking her to my dental appointments.  Our dentist recommended that she come along and watch what happens to me at the dentist to prepare her for her own visit when she turned 3.  Well, she's within a week of turning 3 and she went to her own dentist appointment for the first time on Monday.  

I knew it would go one of two ways.  On the way down to the appointment, we talked about what to expect at the dentist and how to behave.  The dentist has looked in her mouth before and "counted" her teeth, but I knew this appointment would involve more time spent inside her mouth and I was nervous.

We got there and she marched in to the office, just like the big kid that she is!  We went right in and she sat in the chair, and the hygienist, our dentist's wife, told her the plan.  After she listened carefully, Clara said, "Yeah, that's what my mommy told me already."  Ok!  At least I know she listens when we have talks in the car!

When it was time to put the special polisher in Clara's mouth, she sat up in the big chair, and looked at me and said in the most normal of voices, "Mommy, will you come hold my hand.  I'm a little bit afraid."  Melt my heart!  So I held her hand and she got her front two teeth polished and sparkly!

Once the water was sprayed in and sucked out, Clara sat up thinking that the visit was over!  The hygienist had to explain that we had to make her back teeth match the front!  Too funny!

For the entire appointment, she followed directions like a pro!  I felt so proud!  And at the end, she got to pick a toy from the toy box.  However, she was quite disappointed when there weren't any suckers like at the Doctor's office (why do Dr. offices give suckers anyway?)

I learned that we need to be using a toothpaste packed with good fluoride in it (not the strawberry Tom's of Maine kind that she's grown to love and loves to eat!) and that we should start flossing her back molars that touch.  (We're slackers and haven't flossed her once!)  But thankfully, her teeth looked great!

The first appointment was a complete success and we've booked her next appointment for August!  Way to go, Clara!  You're such a 3-year-old!












4 comments:

  1. Once again, Clara...are we related? You should H-A-T-E the dentist TOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This ex dental assistant Grandma is SO PROUD! Like a pro miss Clara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always easy when you have a good dentist and good hygienist. They have to be patient with children. But I think the whole thing is tough no matter what because children just can not keep still like that for very long or keep their mouth in that horribly uncomfortable position for the cleaning and the dentist's quick inspection.

    Joanna @ Westheimer Dentist

    ReplyDelete
  4. My child was so terrified to go to the dentist that I called in advance to warn them. The dentist told me they deal with this all the time and they have it under control. My little was was given a special badge that day and made honorary dentist. The whole experience made it so that my child actually is looking forward to another visit this year.

    Quinn Kimbrough @ Top Temecula Dentist

    ReplyDelete